Puerto Princesa Subterranean River DIY Tour
This is a great tour because:
- Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park is a UNESCO designated heritage site. This park features a spectacular limestone karst landscape with an underground river. One of the river’s distinguishing features is that it emerges directly into the sea, and its lower portion is subject to tidal influences. The area also represents a significant habitat for biodiversity conservation. The site contains a full ‘mountain-to-sea’ ecosystem and has some of the most important forests in Asia.
- The Puerto Princesa Underground River is 8.2-kilometer long river and boasts jaw-dropping cave formations, stunning limestone cliffs, and pristine waters. However, only 4.3km of the river is allowed for tourist explorations.
- Go to Puerto Princesa, the capital of Palawan and secure a permit first at the Underground River Booking Office situated at Puerto Princesa’s City Coliseum. This is the government’s initiative to control the number of tourists that visit the protected area. Prepare your valid ID, settle the fee, and get your permit. Then you need to travel to Sabang port.
- If you hire a van, you can reach Sabang port in two hours or less. At Sabang port, go to the Tourism Office. There, you’ll present your permit and pay the environmental and boat fees, as well as the mandatory audio guide. A boat will be designated for you and will take you to the Underground River entrance at Sabang Beach.
- The small boat will take you inside the underground river and show you the rock formations inside. The boat tour lasts about 45 minutes. After that, a larger boat will take you back to Sabang port.
- The process of applying for a permit can be tedious and time consuming. This is probably on purpose, so that visitors will pay a little more and join one of the local tours to get a hassle free experience. Read about this : https://www.journeywonders.com/the-puerto-princesa-underground-river/
- If you have more than one person, you probably can bargain with the tour operator on the fees.
- Wear loose fitting clothes and non-slip footwear. Be aware of bat droppings while inside the underground river.
- Price of the permit fee for international tourists is 250 PHP plus 85 PHP of the mandatory audio guide. In addition to this you have to pay 40 PHP for the environment fee and 200 PHP for the roundtrip boat ride from Sabang to the Puerto Princesa Underground River’s entrance. The cost of shared van from Puerto Princesa to Sabang port is around P250.
- Price of joining a tour is P1,900.
Who will go on the tour with the participants?
- Local Guide
Gratuities for service personnel Not Needed
Meals and lodging for service personnel Needed
No. For DIY tour, no meals for service personnel.